Friday, April 04, 2008

New Programming Projects

Friday April 4, 2008

Hola and TGIF! It's April and the weather is mild and suitable for springtime. This week I started my first SDL project using Dev C++. I've done some work in the past with SDL and the Euphoria programming language, going so far as to write a header for SDL and a number of associated libraries. Euphoria quite a bit easier to work with, but C++ has the advantage of being a much more widely used langauge. I had a couple of false starts trying to add the SDL files to my project by hand before stumbling onto the the DevPak which contains all the necessary SDL stuff in an easy-to-install package. So far I'm still at the mud-pie stage, but if this works I'll try adding some other SDL libraries such as SDL_mixer and SDL_TTF. The other programming news of the week was that I downloaded and installed a copy of thinBasic, yet another interpreted programming language with a syntax based loosely on BASIC. It looks quite cool, but as always I've more projects then time to work on them all so it will have to wait for a decent test drive.


The picture of the week was created using Project Dogwaffle.

Click on the image for a full-sized view


The loops of the week are a set of sizzling synth bass parts.


The PC game of the week is Command and Conquer 3.


The book of the moment is Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, 2nd Edition by Michael Dawson.


Send your comments and feedback and I’ll read it all and respond to some of it.

Bye for now!

No comments: